In our effort to “promote the educational transformation of digital court reporters and transcriptionists around the world,” we offer the only online Legal Transcriptionist interactive course specifically tailored and designed to prepare our students to become Legal Transcriptionists.
At registration, you will have the option of choosing the Legal Transcriptionist course using American spellings (LT-A) or the Legal Transcriptionist course using British/Canadian spellings (LT-B). Both courses have the same content, however, the LT-A course is specifically designed for students in the United States, using American spellings. The LT-B course is specifically designed for students in Canada and other commonwealth countries and uses British and/or Canadian spellings.
In the Legal Transcriptionist course, you’ll receive comprehensive lessons, fun quizzes, thorough reviews, transcription assignments, and exams that have been carefully prepared and designed for successful online learning at home.
We expect our students to spend between 8 and 12 hours per week learning and studying the principles taught and preparing transcription assignments. If you don’t have this much time to spend on the course, do not worry at all. Once you register and pay for your course, you will have access to it for 365 days! The quizzes, reviews, tests and final examination questions are presented to our students in a random format. The questions for all quizzes and tests are selected from a larger pool of questions and therefore it is very unlikely two students will be asked the same questions. As well, if a student were to select the option of retaking a quiz or review, the questions may not be exactly the same as they were on the original quiz or review.
Each lesson includes an introduction from your instructor, detailed instruction, review exercises and quizzes to assist in comprehension and absorption of new concepts, online exams, and a preview of your next lesson. Every quiz and exam is marked immediately so our students know what their marks are at all times.
The Legal Transcriptionist course is designed to guide you though the principles, terms and techniques that are used by successful Legal Transcriptionists and is in the format called “Modules”. Each Module is intended to be taken over the duration of one week. For those students wishing to obtain their Certificate in a shorter duration, we offer “accelerated” learning. As the course is completely self-directed, students progress at their own comfortable speed. We’re certain our students will gain expertise in transcription techniques that will assist each one in obtaining employment in the exciting field of Legal Transcription.
- Module 1 – Setting up and operation of digital transcribing equipment; maintaining secure, organized storage; producing accurate & timely transcripts; maintaining confidentiality; digital court reporter’s responsibilities; legal transcriptionist’s responsibilities; the work environment; decorum. The role of the digital court reporter and legal transcriptionist; history of audio recording; advantages of digital recording and transcribing; legal terminology; Latin maxims;
- Module 2 - Homonyms, commonly confused words, unique American and British/Canadian spellings; spelling – ei and ie words and their exceptions; French maxims; capitalization, non-capitalization, numbers, money, dates, times, major and minor punctuation marks, the period, the question mark.
- Module 3 - The comma, the semicolon, the colon, the hyphen, quotation marks, apostrophes & possessives, italics, ellipsis points, dashes, abbreviations, medical terminology, annotations, proofreading techniques, transcription assignment #1.
- Module 4 - Ethics for the legal transcriptionist, researching techniques, producing transcripts using Microsoft Word 2007, e-transcripts, transcription assignment #2
- Module 5 – Setting up your home office, transcription assignments #3, #4, #5 & #6.
- Module 6 – Transcription assignments#7 & #8; final review; preparation for professional certification.
These lessons require the use of a computer with access to the Internet, a USB port, a professional head set, and a USB foot pedal. You will need Express Scribe software. Click here to order yours today.
You can order yours through Alto Edge in the United States. Their website is www.altoedge.com.
If you are a Canadian student, we recommend you order through Canada Dictation.
We strongly suggest you order yours today in order to allow time for shipping.